Friday, August 1, 2008

Life-Drainers and Life-Fillers

Let's face it. Some of the things we have to do, like stand in lines at the grocery store or post office, are life drainers.

Other things, typically things we choose to do, can be life fillers. Like publishing a book of devotionals, playing with children, or enjoying a warm bath to destress.

There used to be a fabulous blog called The Charis Connection. It was a group blog written by Christian fiction authors about writing-related subjects.

One of my favorite posts, which I immediately printed and have kept on my desk at work, was written by author Angela Hunt. The subject was "Life-fillers and Life-drainers".

Although the blog is no longer active, the good news is you can read her inspiring post in full here.

I'm glad that blog is still up even if the authors decided to suspend it. (They were just too busy publishing.) You can find a lot of jewels there. I'd suggest you spend time reading the old posts but I suspect that would be life-draining. Think, "Forward March!"

I'd say I have days when I'm really good at filling my life and other days when I allow too many things to drain my life. Like getting annoyed when I have to stand in line a lot. Or when I end the day, having run around and done a million things, only to wonder what I did and why I am so tired.

Confession time...

My biggest life-drainer has to be television. Yes, it's a great way to relax and I do learn things, especially since I watch a lot of shows on HGTV and the Food Network. But are the things I learn there really priorities for me at this point in my life? Just when will I use that recipe for French Toast Crostini with Honey Creme Fraiche or make my own ottoman from wood, caster rollers, and extra thick batting? I mean, c'mon!

So one of my challenges eventually will be to minimize and maybe even eliminate TV watching.

Are you filling or draining your life with the choices you make?

Peace & Blessings,
Patricia

No comments: