Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Steady Pace

Yesterday was National Start! Walking Day. Did you start? Are you walking?

Better yet, the topic that came to mind over the weekend had to do with running.

Running? What, you just started walking, and now I want you to progress to running?

Yeah. LOL!

I'm talking about running a different kind of race. I'm talking about getting ahead of ourselves in life, as we are oft to do.

When you have financial blessings coming your way, do you start spending them before you have the money?

When you envision free time, do you allocate all of that time to tasks that need to get done before the time is actually upon you?

Do you get excited by a little progress when you've set yourself to a task--writing a book, losing weight, painting a room, finishing a project--such that you almost lose interest/enthusiasm once you're well underway?

I do.

I constantly have to remind myself to slow down, not to get too excited, too worked up when I'm moving toward my goals and things are going well. A little enthusiasm is great if it carries you like a brid's wings further down the pathway to completion.

But if it distracts you to the point of getting off track, then it's best to tamp down that enthusiasm until the task is finished.

We've all heard it said before. It's not about how you start, but how you finish.

"...the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all
Ecc 9:10, KJV


Time and chance. Time and opportunity. Making the most of the time we have and the opportunities before us because we all have them.

I remind myself of this when I get excited by my weight loss. Sure, I've dropped 18 lbs, but I've got a long way to go to reach my goal for good health. I remind myself when I'm writing. Sure, I've got 15,000+ words and a synopsis, and entered two contests this year so far, but I'm got to finish the stories and then, still seek publication, a thorny path at best. When I daydream about what my life will be like after I... Sure, I've got big dreams, but I have to live in contentment and be a good steward over that which I am and I have right now.

How's your race? Are you getting ahead of yourself, envisioning crossing the finish line long before you round the first turn? Are you lagging behind the pace you wish to run?

Lord,help me to pace myself to use the gifts you have given me to achieve the goals I desire for Your glory.

Peace & Blessings,
Patricia

No comments: