Tuesday, April 28, 2009

No Wonder I Can't Lay Off The Junk Food!

Dr. David Kessler, former medical school dean and former head of the Federal Food & Drug Administration launched an investigation into why people crave and keep eating junk food. He climbed into restaurant dumpsters in order to find an answer.

"Much of the scientific research around overeating has been physiology -- what's going on in our body," he said. "The real question is what's going on in our brain."

Turns out the foods we eat are loaded with a deadly combination--salt, sugar, and fat--which have an effect on the wiring of our brains, causing involuntary reactions which lead to eating, overeating, binging, and all the guilt associated with these responses. Read more here.

I know I've battled within myself, literally having back-and-forth conversations, sometimes aloud, in an attempt to resist the foods I know I shouldn't eat. I guess I couldn't pinpoint exactly what was happening in my brain, but I was very clear that eating sugared or salty foods only makes the body want more of them. That first bite can be deadly.

Just something to keep in mind.

I'm still stuck at my 18 lbs off this year to date, where I've pretty much sat for the last two months, and feeling as though my midsection is beginning to expand again, I'm returning to a strict no-carb diet for a short period of time. Two, maybe three weeks, with an increase in my daily exercise duration.

Pray for me.

Peace & Blessings,
Patricia

No comments: