Thursday, January 15, 2009

Not As Easy As You Might Think

I'm continuing my daily AM workouts with weights. It's some serious effort first thing in the morning but the only time in the day when I can possibly do it. And I deserve the benefits that will come from the workouts so I force myself to get up.

Yesterday, when I got home from work, something my husband said brought a smile to my face.

He'd popped in my Biggest Loser Cardio workouts DVD and done the entire thing. (I only do half of it, about 30 min, and I'm both hurting and sweating profusely.) By early evening, his thighs were hurting and he couldn't lift his arms. Paraphrasing, he said, "I give those people more respect. That thing is no joke."

I smiled, made a few comments, and kept cooking dinner. I realized later that by way of his increased respect for the BL contestants and how hard they worked out, perhaps he was also increasing his respect for me.

My hubby has always been supportive of my weight loss efforts. In his own way. Not always in the way I would like, which has occasionally led to tensions between us. I truly don't think many men, especially men like my husband, a former professional athlete, understand just how hard a woman has to work in order to lose weight. At any age, much less when she's over forty, has endured four pregnancies, and is pre-diabetic.

Maybe he has a wee better understanding now. Of course, he probably dropped 3-5 lbs from the one workout. I would have to do that every day of the week and eat very strictly in order to lose the same amount.

Sigh.

But welcome to a peek into my world.

Peace & Blessings,
Patricia

2 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

Quote: "Of course, he probably dropped 3-5 lbs from the one workout."

Doesn't that make you mad? My husband doesn't gain weight. He can eat anything. As Chris Rock said, "That ain't right!"

Have you seen this commercial? It always makes me laugh because it's so true: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQgsr5tR48

Keep up the good work. You will see the results soon.

This morning I'm sore from my free weight workout, but I guess that's a good thing.

PatriciaW said...

That's a funny commercial!

You shouldn't be too sore. I work out with free weights to the point of sweating and am never sore. Make sure you're not using weights that are too heavy for you; that you focusing on technique when you do the exercises; and that you stretch properly afterwards.