Monday, January 19, 2009

The Importance of Dreams


Today we celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his legacy of peaceful, non-violent protest during the civil rights era to help achieve the world in which we live today.

As time passes since the institution of this holiday, more and more cries go out for us to spend this day in service to mankind. So if you have or can create the opportunity to be of service today, if no other day, please do.

Because of Dr. King's dreams, I went to high school at a predominantly white school where I could get a better (in some ways) education than what was available in my hometown.

Because of Dr. King's dreams, I received an education at one of the finest universities in the country, Cornell University.

Because of Dr. King's dreams, I worked for one of the oldest and largest corporations in America, Procter & Gamble.

Because of Dr. King's dreams, I have lived where I wanted, gone where I wanted, and done pretty much what I wanted.

Because of Dr. King's dreams, and now President-elect Obama's magnificent victory, I can tell my children, three African-American boys, that they truly can be whatever their hearts desire in these United States of America.

Dreams are important.

Peace & Blessings,
Patricia

1 comment:

Chicki Brown said...

I didn't know you worked for P&G. So did I, for a few years. Also worked for Merck and Schering-Plough.

Now we will be able to witness what great things will come about from President Obama's leadership and influence.