Thursday, October 2, 2008

The (Wo)Man In the Mirror

I'm not a big fan of Michael Jackson's right now. But his music remains transcendent. (Isn't it sad that some of the greatest blessings go to the most tortured souls?)

One of his songs that I loved and still do is The Man In The Mirror.

I'm Gonna Make A Change,
For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good,
Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . . .

That's Why I'm Starting With Me....

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And Make A Change
Boy, making a life change is way harder than it sounds!

The song, of course, is talking about making a change in the world around us, about not ignoring the challenges in our social environment but doing something to affect them.

I wholeheartedly believe in this, which is why I'm working hard to elect Sen. Barack Obama the next president of the United States of America.

I also think we have to act in small ways, every day, beginning with being better persons ourselves.

For me, part of being a better person is being a healthier person.

I think this is the hardest thing I've ever done.

Because there can't be any let up. If I go more than two days without exercise, I feel as though I haven't exercised in weeks. If I eat even a small cookie or slice of cake, I find myself grabbing for more, as though I've unleashed some sugar demon within.

But I'm more on track than off these days so I take comfort in that.

And I find that the more on track I am, the more energized I am, not just in terms of physical energy but deep within my soul. My outlook is brighter. I'm happier. Not just happier but joyous. I'm more inclined to give of myself and to look for opportunities to be a blessing to others. I feel as though I'm living in a way that is more pleasing to God.

So it really does all start with me. I choose to make a change.

Peace & Blessings,
Patricia

2 comments:

Chicki Brown said...

I'm a die hard MJ fan from way back. The words to that song are so true. Change has to start from inside. That's why I think we fail so many times on diets because we're doing it for superficial reasons - like trying to fit into a certain dress for the class reunion or a wedding. I've done that more times than I care to admit. But now I'm in it for the long haul. I'll be starting my detox with the chiropractor next week, and I'm walking on my tread-desk as much as I can until my knee gives me grief. For me it's about moving more.

PatriciaW said...

Yeah, I'm in for the long haul too. I'm really interested in hearing more about your detox program. I've wanted to do one of those for some time now.