Thursday, October 16, 2008

(Belated) Blog Action Day 2008 -- Poverty




As much as I read blogs, why is it that I always seem to find out about these things late?

Mid-afternoon yesterday (while reading a blog, of course), I discovered that yesterday was Blog Action Day 2008. That's a day chosen when all bloggers are asked to blog on a singular topic for the purpose of bringing worldwide attention to the issue and making a difference.

This year's topic is poverty.

Interestingly enough, on the way into work yesterday, I heard that America's working poor had increased by some 300,000+ families to approximately 29,000,000 families.

Those are families. Even with declining family size, that's a lot of people.

Of course, I hate that label "working poor", because to me, "poor" is a spiritual condition, a state of mind. Failing to have money is simply broke. Lots of folks grow up broke, live broke, and die broke. But I'd argue--and I'm sure I'd get a lot of flack for this--their broke condition doesn't change, in part, because they are poor in spirit.

Folks who have richer, more whole spirits, make things happen. They find some way to break the poverty cycle and get to a better place financially, even if it takes years.

Sometimes they need a little help. To me, that's what the fight against global poverty is about.

Worldwide poverty is incredible to me. At this time in history, forgetting the current global financial crisis--or maybe even in spite of it--I believe there is more wealth in the world than there has ever been.

It is unseemingly that some folks live with such largesse on this planet while others, even whole nations, languish in totally abject conditions--residential squalor, excessive unemployment, low wages, little, no, or spoiled food, contaminated water, rampant disease, etc.

The resources on this planet--people, ideas, natural substances, and yes, money--are too great for this to be the case.

A quick Google search turned up a host of organizations devoted to fighting global poverty, like End Poverty, The One Campaign, NetAid, PovertyFighters, and Care.

Take some time to learn more about the issue of global poverty and its impact on your life, because this issue affects every citizen of the Earth. Then, commit to do something to help eradicate poverty, no matter how small. One idea I saw had to do with making microloans as small as $20 to business entrepreneurs in Third World countries. $20 goes a long way in some places.

God said the poor would be with us always. I believe He meant those who are spiritually bereft and to some extent, that's by choice. But I don't believe He ever said His children would or should starve.

Let's wipe out global poverty.

It starts with us.

Peace & Blessings,
Patricia

1 comment:

Chicki Brown said...

Excellent blog! You are so right. The Word says the righteous will never be forsaken or our seed go begging for bread.

I heard someone say that we will always have the poor with us, but it doesn't have to be the same poor. Some of them will rise out of poverty.