Monday, March 19, 2012

Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up The Way You Thought He Would? by Pete Wilson

Doing a little blog maintenance and discovered that I some how missed publishing this post.  It's a tad late--like two years--but it's still good.  So here it is...

Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up?

I haven't read this book in its entirety yet.  I thought I'd skim enough to write a meaningful review.  Instead, I find myself as engrossed as I would be in any good novel.   Peter Wilson has the three things that make a book like Plan B:  What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up The Way You Thought He Would? a definite keeper:  (1) a subject that is both timely and timeless; (2) an easy, conversational style; and (3) a personal transparency that lifts his writing up from "let me tell you what you should do in these circumstances" to "let me share how I've experienced this so that you might glean some nuggets of truth from my pain".

Because believe you me, God has not always shown up exactly the way I thought that He might, had hoped He would or believed that I needed in my most trying moments.

Some might find that unforgivable and maybe turn away from God.

I don't.

I won't.

Because what God has done is so much better.  I just don't always see it coming or even realize it's happening when it's happening.  It's hard to appreciate the dazzling blue of the sky, the warmth of the sun or the view of the horizon when one is hanging from a precipice by the edges of her fingernails.

But in retrospect, I can see Him moving throughout my life, from as early as I can remember, and I'm here to tell my story because the one thing God's always done is the most amazing thing of all.

He's always shown up. Sooner or later.  But He always, every time, shows up.  And I always find myself in a better position as a result of His visitation upon my life than I ever anticipated.

Pete Wilson is the founding pastor of Cross Point Community Church in Nashville, Tennessee. Cross Point is an 8-year-old church that reaches over 4,000 each weekend through its 5 campuses located around the metro Nashville area. Pete is a pastor, speaker, and author who resides in Nashville with his wife Brandi and their 3 boys, Jett, Gage, and Brewer. Pete’s first book Plan B was released in the spring of 2010 and is available wherever books are sold.

Enjoy this guest blog post on Michael Hyatt's wonderful blog by author Pete Wilson: Why Plan B Is Often Your Greatest Opportunity as a Leader.

No comments: