Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Where Was I Headed?

I haven't posted over here in eons, mostly because my thoughts are changing about what I want to do with this blog. But a writing friend, Wanda, who pens inspirational thoughts provoked this question today, a good question particularly at this time of the year when many are considering their goals and New Year's resolutions. Check out her post over at her blog, The Watered Soul.

For me, I can say my life is not what I thought it would be. That's not a bad thing. In my early years, I thought I'd be a U.S. Senator or high-powered attorney. Politics leaves a sour taste in my mouth, although I do wish I'd gotten that law degree.

Later, I thought it'd be fun to do something in publishing or book selling. After all, I've always loved books.  I dropped that dream for something more solid and lucrative, a technical career. I wish I'd stuck with that dream, although in a way I've come full circle since I'm now writing for publication.

Then, I imagined myself a corporate bigwig with a PhD. Those dreams fell to the changing priorities resulting from marriage and motherhood. I decided corporate America wasn't quite all it was cracked up to be, even though I'm still in it, and I found myself in a place wherein education, given the cost and time commitment, needed purpose. I'm okay with that, although "Doctor Patricia" still has a nice ring to it and I'm nearing a point where education for education's sake might be okay.

I also dreamed of marrying and growing old with a man who loves me, and becoming a mother many times over. I've done or am doing, in the case of growing old, those things, and those things have led me down paths to experience things I never dreamed. Life is good. Still, I want more.

The point I'd like to make is there's nothing wrong with changing your plans, as Terah did. There is, however, something wrong with ceasing to dream and to move in those dreams, even if it's marching in place, for a time.

Today my dreams involve my name on the cover of multiple books and in the byline of magazine articles, with unexpected doors opened as a result. My financial needs completely covered (not necessarily through book publishing). My children healthy and prospering. My family connections deepened. Hubby and I contagiously in love. Encouraged by and inspiring to a close circle of friends.  My body lighter and stronger. Living out my faith in a way that positively affects my family and community, a spiritual life that will please God.

This is what I think about as I consider the year 2011.

What do you dream? Do you know where you're headed?

Peace & Blessings,
Patricia

3 comments:

Lyn Cote said...

You've certainly gone through many changes. I always wanted to be a teacher, a mother/wife, and a writer. And guess what--I am! PTL!

PatriciaW said...

How wonderful, Lyn! I've always admired those who knew exactly what they wanted to become, and went on to do so.

Kathy Harris said...

I love your thinking, Patricia! Dreams are such an important part of our day-to-day lives. I believe God puts those desires in our heart for many reasons, not the least of which is to encouragement us.